Applying to the Domestic RHI

All you need to know to get your Domestic RHI application started

Apply to the Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive

The Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (Domestic RHI) is a government financial incentive to promote the use of renewable heat. Once you have installed a renewable heating technology in your property, you can apply for the incentive through Ofgem, who govern the scheme.

This information aims to guide our customers through the application process, by explaining what you need and what to consider in applying to the Domestic RHI, as well as where to make your application. Ecovision will register your renewable heating system and provide you with an MCS certificate once the heating system has been commissioned.

Some considerations before making your application:
  • You must own or occupy the property the renewable heating system is in.

  • You must apply within 12 months of the commissioning date of the heating system shown on the MCS certificate.
  • Before applying for the Domestic RHI you need to ensure the property meets minimum insulation requirements of loft and cavity wall insulation. If it is not possible to do this, for example with some listed properties, then you can submit evidence as part of your application. Ecovision will advise on this if it is necessary.
  • You need to provide a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) that is no more than 24 months old.*

*Ecovision can put you in touch with a third- party EPC provider (this part of the process has to be impartial) if you require an updated EPC certificate before applying for the Domestic RHI.

Before You Apply

You need to supply the following when making your application:

  • An MCS certificate number

This is at the top of the certificate and looks like: MCS 01234567-A

applying to the domestic rhi
  • An EPC number

This is at the top of your certificate and looks like: 1234-5678-9012-3456-7890.

Make sure your EPC includes a heat load at the bottom.

applying to the domestic rhi
  • Your bank details so that Ofgem can make the payment to you

Your Online Application

When you are ready to apply, you will need to complete an online application form on the Ofgem website.

This can be found by clicking the button below.

Do I need metering?

  • Most domestic properties do not need to be metered, as most people joining the scheme live in the same home all year round and have one renewable heating system that supplies the whole property. In this case, payments can be based on the property’s estimated annual heat use, at a fixed rate.
  • Occasionally there are situations where you need to install a meter to receive tariff payments. These include instances where the property is not occupied for more than 6 months of the year (for example holiday cottages). Other instances include those who have back up heating systems installed or have a heating system that doesn’t supply the entire property.

More information regarding metering can be found below:

Further Information

Before applying to the Domestic RHI, it’s beneficial to visit the Ofgem website to ensure you have everything you need to make your application. More information about the incentive, including frequently asked questions, can be found by following the button below: